Getting constipated and bloated with mucus in stool. How to overcome this?

General Surgeon
I often get constipated and have a mucus in my stools. I get very bloated and usually have a problem with a foul smelly gas.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

The 90% of constipations is caused by bad diet, lack of intestinal bacterias and stress. Medicines like Calcium channels blockers and antidepresants can also give constipations. Only a few percents of constipations is caused by other diseases like inflammatory bowels disease (Crohns disease), large intestine polyps and colon cancer.
I suggest you to try with diet change. You should avoid fatty foods, soft drinks. Increase fiber XXXXXXX products, mineral water intake and physical activity. You should also start probiotics supplementation.
If such treatment wont help, you should than have some tests. Abdominal ultrasound, blood work, thyroid tests and stool tests should be performed at first. The next step should be colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.