Getting constant salivation under tongue and mild pain near the jaw. What is causing this?

For two weeks or so, I've had excess saliva originating from under my tongue, around my back molars, which is accompanied by a tart taste (like I'm sucking on a lemon). It is nearly constant during the day, gets worse as the day goes on, doesn't seem to happen at night. I also have very mild discomfort in the right side of my jaw, ear and eye, just since last night. Thought it was dental related, but dentist and oral surgeon I saw today said everything looked fine (I do have 4 crowns, so I thought maybe one was loose). Dentist thought Flonase I use for mild allergies/sinus issues may be to blame. Went to urgent care because salivation is getting so bad I can't even work or concentrate, doctor said possibly reflux and prescribed antacid, but I don't have any other symptoms. Totally puzzled.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The constant salivation and mild pain near the jaw is likely to be related to a sore throat as the oral cavity causes have been ruled out.
Usually such viral infections resolve spontaneously in 3-5 days time. If they worsen, you need appropriate antibiotics.
Other causes may be-
* Infection in your mouth
* Medications, such as clozapine, isoproterenol, pilocarpine and reserpine
* Pregnancy
* Stomatitis (an inflammation of mucous membranes in your mouth)
* Acute sinusitis
* Allergies
* Chronic sinusitis
* Enlarged adenoids
I suggest the following treatment options currently:
1) For discomfort relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
2) You can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits.
3) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables.

Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must if you worsen - develop high grade fever, severe pain while swallowing and so on. So seek prompt medical help as and when required. Proper antibiotic therapy will help you in faster recovery.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.