Getting constant pins and needles in ovary and back after periods. Is this serious?

Dear Doctor,

My best friend gets constant pins and needles where her ovary is and behind to her back. She usually gets them a week or two after her period finishes and then they go away shortly before and during her period. She is really worried about it. She has had an ultrasound a year or two ago and it revealed nothing to worry about. She is on the pill. I've filled in her medical history below. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
I can understand your concern for these symptoms. It is good that the ultrasound has come out clear but from your description it looks like parasthesia of the lower abdomen and anxiety attacks. Anxiety and panic attacks can also cause parasthesia or pins and needle sensations. It is not likely to be related to any ovarian pathology.

Pins and needles are abnormal sensations that can occur anywhere in the body.
Many causes of such sensations in the lower abdomen are there. These include injury to the back or spinal cord, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in the body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause tingling and pins and needle sensations.

Firstly, I’ll request you to get her blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Also get her thyroid hormones levels evaluated. She can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.