Getting constant metal smell in nose, feeling nauseous. What is causing this?

My husband complains of a constant metal smell in his nose. What is this? He is nauseous and other scents like lavender or bacon cooking do not change this sense.What is causing this?
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later

Welcome to healthcare magic!
The strange smell sense is called a parosmia.
The possible causes in your case can be Meningitis, tumors of brain, metronidazole treatment, any local pathology in the nose, atrophic rhinitis to name prominent few causes.
Get a local examination by your ENT Doctor to know if there is something important.
You need a physical examination by your physician and get base line investigations like Chest X XXXXXXX Electrocardiogram, Complete Blood Counts, Renal Function Test, Liver Function Test, Fasting and Post-Prandial Blood Sugar, Urine Compete Examination.
This work up is expected to detect the underlying cause for cacosmia so a definite treatment could be started.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!