Getting constant abdominal pain, feeling nausea and bloated. CT scan normal. Reason?

For the past two months, I have had constant pain, in the center of my abdomen, approximately 2 to 3 inches above the naval. Additionally, I can hear my gut making growling and churning noises. I have seen a Gastroenterologist, had a CT Scan (with barium, with and without contrast), and was told that my abdomen was perfectly normal. A couple of days ago, I had an EGD, and was told that it was completely normal. All of that was good news, but I would really like to know the reason for the chronic pain. I do not have a gall bladder, as it was removed in 1995. I have no fever, very little nausea, and feel very bloated.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later
Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern. I think you probably have features of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
The main symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome are abdominal pain, fullness, gas, and bloating that have been present for at least 3 days a month for the last 3 months.

I am glad that you never smoked nor drank; you eat right and exercise. You are never overweight. Continue to do so.

Lifestyle changes can help in some cases of IBS.

Regular exercise and improved sleep habits may reduce anxiety and help relieve bowel symptoms.

Avoid foods and drinks that stimulate the intestines (such as caffeine, tea, or colas). Avoid large meals.
Increase fiber in the diet (this may improve constipation but make bloating worse).

Please discuss about these options with your Gastroenterologist.

If you have any further queries, you are free to consult me. Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Have a nice day.