Getting cold and pain under breastbone. EKG and xray normal. On medication for anxiety. GERD?

hi i started having some pain on my left side under my breast bone and above it 2 months ago it really wasnt pain but was uncomfortable I did get some stabbing pains a few times that went a way and I started getting cold sensations in my chest and down my arm I had a ekg two months ago and they said my heart was fine they even took a xray and blood and everything came back fine they said it was gerd and told me what to take i continued taking it but the pain came back so I returned to the er and this time said panic attacks/anxiety so they gave me xanex and fiorcet for tension and the pain went away now its back I dont have insurance so I dont want to really go back to the er so they can tell me its nothing this has been going on for 3 months now it usually last for about a week each time and I stay tired and have no appetite and just basically want to sleep you I dont feel this way. Also I have been having upper and lower back pain could you please tell what this could be.
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The pain that you have is likely to be due to GERD. Since all your cardiac investigations have come back normal, there is nothing to worry.
The other possible cause can be a nerve root compression at the level of the spinal cord since you are having a back pain also. In such a case the pain will improve with NSAID (ibuprofen, diclofenac, celecoxib and so on. Sometimes they can cause stomach irritation in some people - Take them after food. Simple Acetaminophen alone and or in combination could also help.
At times, a muscle relaxant - like chlorzoxazone or methocarbamol - is needed.
You can get a proper prescription from your General Physician.
Good posture at work and home are important in the long term. Yoga can help.
Go for massage, fomentation and physiotherapy - if severe.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting cold and pain under breastbone. EKG and xray normal. On medication for anxiety. GERD? 52 minutes later
I have been taking all sorts of acid reducers and the have not helped and do you think gerd could cause my left arm to feel achy
Also my bloodpressure has been 176 over 130 when I start feeling pressure in my chest
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The ache in the left arm with a high blood pressure could be related to an increased cardiac work load or a nerve compression at the level of cervical spine. You can take mild pain killers like acetaminophen and see if the pain improves. Having a salt restricted diet and taking your blood pressure medicine regularly will also be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.