Getting clear liquid anal discharge. What is going on?

What would cause me to have a clear liquid anal discharge three time in the past ten hours?
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

Clear liquid discharge in stool can be mucus in the stool. Mucus is usually produced by mucous membrane (inner lining) of large intestine. There can be many causes for increased anal discharge like Ulcerative colitis, less often Crohn's disease. In addition, any bacterial intestinal infection can also give rise to clear anal discharge.

Partial intestinal obstruction may not be related to this liquid anal discharge.

Small amount of clear anal discharge does not sound alarming. Usually that would clear off in a day or two. However if there was any recent changes in bowel habits you may have to visit your doctor for evaluation.

In brief, the discharge can be associated with multiple conditions. You will need a detailed abdominal examination; per rectal examination; stool study and scopies to narrow down the possibilities. Nevertheless, as explained, you can wait and observe for a day and two; consider consulting your doctor if symptoms persist.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further question, I will be happy to help you.

Wish you good health...