Getting chest cramp while doing exercise in empty stomach. What is the reason?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I get a really strong cramp in the middle of my chest, usually when I have an empty stomach and if i'm doing sit ups but it doesn't happen all the time. It feels like a knot in the middle of my chest and it hurts really bad. To make it go away i have to stretch my upper abs. The cramp is so strong sometimes that I feel like dropping to my knees.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 21 minutes later

From description it seems , the cause of chest cramps in your condition might be due to heartburn or muscular tear.
Heartburn is caused by an overflow of stomach acid into the esophagus, which can result in severe pains in the chest but is usually easily treated with antacids. Muscular tears can occur due to injury or strenuous exercise, frequently presenting as a dull ache throughout the upper body or sharp pains caused when performing specific movements.
I would suggest getting this evaluated by a general physician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.