Getting cervical spondylosis pain and feeling numbness. MRI done. Permanent solution?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I get cervical spondalytis pain .. on left side of the neck...
By pain , I dont mean exactly pain...instead feeling unrest at the lest side of the neck.
And some times I feel little numbness which goes till my leg..

TOday I was attending training and therefore I have to sit for 3- 4 hours .. and therefore this pain started...I also experience this pain after driving...
I have done MRI 2 years back.. there was a little bulge at c2 c3 c4 but Dr said nothing much ..Just do few exercises.

Its been now 4 years I m having this issue and need permanent solution to this as it effects my daily work.

Please advise how can I make this neck muscle strong or what medication I can take???
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your pain. You had mild cervial disc bulge with cervical spondolytic changes.It often takes time, changes in activities and exercises to heal it properly.

To ease the symptoms of a bulging cervical disc and make your neck muscle stronger, I advice you to do following exercises regularly-

Chin Tucks
Begin sitting or standing tall with your back and neck straight, shoulders should be back slightly . Tuck your chin in until you feel a mild to moderate stretch pain-free. Keep your eyes and nose facing forwards. Hold for 2 seconds and repeat 10 times provided there is no increase in symptoms. Repeat 5 times daily.

Shoulder Blade Squeezes
Begin sitting or standing tall with your back straight .Bend your arms at your elbows, bringing your hands up to your coller bones. Squeeze your shoulder blades together as hard and far as possible pain-free. Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 10 times provided there is no increase in symptoms. Repeat 5 times daily.

You also need some life style modification like-

Do not sit for prolonged period of time in stressful postures
Do use firm collars while traveling
Do not lift heavy weights on head or back
Do not turn from your body but turn your body moving your feet first
Do turn to one side while getting up from lying down
Do the exercises prescribed regularly
Do use firm mattress, thin pillow or butterfly shaped pillow
Do not lie flat on your stomach.

You can take a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, such as ibuprofen, aspirin or Aleve immediately after the pain starts. This is both an anti-inflammatory and pain relief drug. Take the anti-inflammatory regularly for a few days, but do not take more than 2400 mg per day.

Follow these exercises and instructions, it will helps you a lot.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.