Getting calf muscle pain. Advice?

I am a keen walker with 2 dogs,always kept fit played badminton for 40 years. 62 yrs old 14stone 6lbs. Never smoked but now when walking only seem to be able to do about 3 miles and I get calf muscle pain sometimes severe other just aches but does not seem to go away. Slightly concerned re the DVT connection.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
1. The features of DVT or deep vein thrombosis of calf region are swelling in calf region, pain on touch/ pressure, pain on movement of limb. There may be redness over the effected area and or swelling of foot. The pain will be persistent in these patients. Pain occurring after 3 miles of walk is atypical for this condition.
2. Isolated pain on walking without any swelling or tenderness is more likely to occur with decrease in blood supply to muscles due to blockages in blood vessels (arteries). This is known as intermittent claudication. This will come up with walking to a similar distance daily and will be relieved by rest. Other disorders which can present similarly may be --
a. Neurological involvement due to disease of lower spine. This may be associated with local pain (lower backache).
b. A local trauma or muscle strain. The pain will be persistent and there will be tenderness on pressure or touch.
c. Venous insufficiency may be responsible but swelling will be an associated features.
Sir, I can only provide you historical perspective here. All the conditions, to be differentiated, require an examination. Hence, I would recommend you to see your GP to sort out the issue. However please do write, if there is any query.