Getting burning sensation and weird pain behind shoulder. What could be causing this?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
The last few days a weird sudden pain appeared in a very small area behind my left shoulder, near the skin. The 1st time I noticed was during sleep. The pain comes with a specific movement of the arm: when I try to make a full wide circle and my arm is on the stage of the circle behind me. It comes less strong with some other movements too.

The pain is very strong, sudden, localized and usually goes away very fast. It is a burning sensation and there is some weak residual pain afterward. It is becoming increasingly stronger the last few days and the area affected seems to be getting bigger.

I was not very worried but, just now, I have found a little star-like-shaped scar, maybe an inch across, a little bit raised.The skin is a little sensitive on that place. I have never had a scar injury in such place, only a dislocated shoulder about 10 years ago.

The pain seems muscular, it is not in the surface of the skin. But I could be wrong about the muscular part. Could be in an XXXXXXX skin layer.
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
The way you describe the pain( so nicely!), it is suggestive of rotator cuff injury or frozen shoulder.
Here the tendons around the shoulder joint get injured and the surrounding muscles go into spasm causing pain.There will be limitation of some movements of the shoulder joint.
Please get examined by an Orthopedic doctor and you may need a MRI for exact diagnosis.
Get treated early otherwise it limits daily activities!
The scar you describe may not be related to this and may be a different skin condition.Wait and watch!
All the best