Getting bumps on body, looks like mosquito bite, swollen hands. What could it be?

General Surgeon
Question
I keep getting these large, mosquito bite looking bumps all over my body. They will disapperar then come back and move. N today my left hand is swollen also.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 35 minutes later
Hi
I saw all the pics.
They seem to occur due to allergy.
Allergy may be due to some food item,any medicine ,mites in the bed etc.
When you are exposed to the allergen,you develop these lesions.
As they are disappear spontaneously,nothing to worry.
Please take antihistamine and a steroid like Dexamethasone when they appear.
Your left hand is swollen due to the same reason only.As the hand is not red,it is not inflammed by infection.So,it is swollen due to allergy only.
Apart from steroid and antihistamine,please take Trypsin and chymotrypsin combination tablet to reduce hand edema.
Nothing to worry
Wish you good health

Follow-up: Getting bumps on body, looks like mosquito bite, swollen hands. What could it be? 15 minutes later
The hand was red and swollen and warm to touch last night. I just took am amoxicillian and the redness has seemed to go away. Could this be scabies?

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 10 minutes later
Hi
It cannot be Scabies.The lesions in scabies will be between the fingers commonly and very much itchy.The lesions in scabies can occur in any part,but there will be itching.
If the hand was red and swollen and warm on palpation,then it might be due to infection .Sometimes simple Amoxycillin will not be sufficient.If there is no response,please go for a higher antibiotic or broad spectrum antibiotic like Cefuroxime or Clindamycin.
Please give rest to the affected hand.Response will be good if you keep the hand in elevated position.
Nothing to worry
It will come dwon

Follow-up: Getting bumps on body, looks like mosquito bite, swollen hands. What could it be? 6 minutes later
Sorry I did forget to include they are very itchy and I am scratching everywhere. And as far as the hand it started with itching badly in the palm then became swollen with a lesion on there also. Then of course it disappered for a while as with all of the lesions they disappear and return and move all around my body

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 31 minutes later
Hi
Tha characteristic feauture of scabies is that they occur more commonly in the webspaces of hands.
But,it has to be differentiated from Allergic reactions,Dermatitis etc.
So,due to scratching over the hand,bacteria might have entered inside and caused swelling.
But,without specific treatment for scabies,the lesions due to it will not disappear.
So,the diagnosis goes more in favour of Allergy.
So,i request you to XXXXXXX a Dermatologist once the lesions appear.
If you are still suspecting scabies,you can try Ivermectin tablet ,a single dose of it will cure the disease.
But,exclude allergic reaction also.
Wish you good health