Getting bruise on shoulder. What could be the reason?

Recently I've been noticing that I've started bruising at even the slightest of bumps. And the bruises that form are extremely far and large as if the simple accidental bump of a shoulder into some one else were really me taking a running shoulder slam into a XXXXXXX wall. Even something as tiny as my 5 pound cat walking across my lap has caused dark painful bruising to occur. I know this only a fairly recent development only coming on in the past couple of months because I have lived a fairly active lifestyle that these simple daily activities had previously never left a XXXXXXX Do you have any clues or recommendations as to what's going on?
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 24 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

From the brief description you have given, it seems that it is a hematological problem. Please get your CBC (Complete Blood Count) and blood coagulation profile done. It is better you see you see your family physician who will examine you and advise you specific investigations to rule out the cause.

You probably have a bleeding disorder or a problem in the clotting mechanism.

If you feel you need to have more understanding about it I shall be glad to respond you.

Dr. J. Ticku