Getting bright red pin prick spots on skin. Could this be petechiae?

i have been getting a few single bright red pin prick spots on my skin. they have been scattered and are all single ones. they are all 1mm or less- i have 5 on my chest, 2 on my stomach, 2 on right arm and 5 on left arm.. could this be petechiae? i am scared as this is a symptom of leukemia.. if this was leukemia, would i see more of them? they dont look like a rash and i dont have any other this coming from my blood or skin? they do not fade much when a glass is put on..i have a few moles and bruise easily but this is nothing new.. im scared i have something serious..
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in Cardiology. I read your mail with diligence. I am not sure your description fits leukemia I can assure you that.
Your first hunch that could this be petichae- is well founded. However all petichae are not due to something serious and incurable disorders. You need to worry if you are not taking any drugs and while brushing you get bleeding from gums. Otherwise, it is not a cause for panic but of concern. Now it is afternoon on Saturday, so short of going to ER neither you can be thoroughly examined nor your complete blood count + rbc count + platelet function tests can not be done. If I were you and if I have any of the following three symptoms, I will go to emergency room otherwise, I will wait till Monday for a regular appointment with a doctor:
1. Fever (any fever above 100 degrees F for more than 48 hours is significant)
2. Bleeding from any site as manifested by blood in Urine, Stools or mouth.
3. Weight loss more than 3 KG in last 6 weeks
Good Luck. If you have a follow up question for me, I will be most happy to answer.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW