Getting body pain, feeling lethargic, headache and fatigued. Hurts to swallow. Is it flu?

ENT Specialist
Hi I am hoping I can get some idea as to the symptoms I suddenly started having yesterday. My symptoms consist of body aches all over, extremely lethargic, Back of my sinuses are swollen it hurts to swallow, hot and cold at times, extreme fatigue, nervousness, headache comes and goes, also sweat at times when nervous. What could possibly be causing these flu-like symptoms being that I havent been around anyone that is sick with the flu not to mention we are in the middle of summer?
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms you perceive are of upper change of temperature (moving out from & into the house or office), using air conditioners which are not cleaned, consuming unhygienic food or beverages, allergy, etc.

The initial phase of URTI consists of almost all the symptoms mentioned by you. The acute stage is usually of viral in origin and later invaded by the bacteria. It normally requires symptomatic treatment as it resolves on its own within 3days to 1week. Later, if it does not subside within the above period, antibiotics are required.

During the initial stages of viral fever, there will inflamed tissues of the upper respiratory tract causing nasal congestion, sore throat, hoarseness, headache, cough, feverish, etc. Certain home remedies and symptomatic treatment can give you relief from this URTI.

My suggestion to you is to drink plenty of warm water, do steam inhalation, use saline nasal spray and take bed rest. Also, try taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the pain and paracetamol if fever is noticed. Avoid hot and cold food/beverages and coffee.

With above measures you will be definitely alright.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon