Getting blocked ear sensation and ear is constantly popping and crackling. Suggest some home remedy

For last week my right ear is constantly popping and crackling, and now it feels always blocked and is always trying to un pop or free its self but no luck, I have had three sinus infections this years...over last 2 and half weeks I have been coughing and hacking up XXXXXXX mucus....

What is the best home remedy you would recommend?
Do I need a prescription?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Blocked ear sensation is the result of the air pressure on either side of your ear drum not being equal. Blocked ears arise when air is unable to move through the Eustachian tube to equalise the pressure.
your eustachian tube has been blocked because of persisting cold and cough for past 2 weeks.
Eustachian tube is a tube that connects nasopharynx with middle ear.
Once the Eustachian tube gets are blocked, air cannot get in and out of the middle ear. The resulting pressure imbalance causes the feeling of a blocked ear.

Sinus and throat infections and nasal allergies such as hay fever are also causes of blocked ear, as the swollen membranes block the opening of the Eustachian tube.

This annoying feeling of a blocked ear accompanying a blocked nose generally disappears once the cold or infection is better.

Since the color of your mucus is XXXXXXX it denotes infection.
You require regular steam inhalation twice a day along with a course of antibiotics for which you have to take a prescription from your doctor.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck