Getting bad headaches. Suggest medication?

Hello, I really get bad tension type headaches that last all day everyday for months due to work related problems in my last job. I have since moved on, but my headaches have not. Is there any type of therapeutic medication I can try temporarily to ease the pain. Panadol does not work.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Thanks for your health concerns.

Other group of medications that are effective for these headaches are non-steroidal antiinflammatories, such as aspirin, ibuprophen and naproxen. Naproxen is particularly useful since it is dosed every 12 hours. You can get it over the counter as well. Formulations containing aspirin and caffeine, such as Excedrin can be beneficial. Nevertheless, it is important to note that all of these medications can have side effects if taken for prolonged periods of time or high doses, so ideally should be used sparingly. Non-medication techniques, including therapeutic massage, chiropractor visits or acupuncture has been found very helpful for many patients.

Hope this is useful, wish you the best health, blessings,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN USA