Getting affected by frequent cold and sneezing. How to prevent this?

Allergist and Immunologist
I have been getting affected by frequent cold from last about one year. Sometimes, when I am having cold, during sleep in the night, I start sneezing like anything. Can you please advise on the same and to prevent such cold, sneezing?
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 3 hours later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

Frequent 'colds' with sneezing episodes can be a symptom of untreated severe house dust mite allergy with allergic rhinitis. Sensitization to other perennial (those present throughout the year) allergens is also possible such as animal dander, cockroach etc.

It is best to understand what you are sensitized or allergic to with the help of blood tests (total IgE, specific IgE against 'rhinitis panel') or skin prick testing to aeroallergens. After the test is done, you will get an idea of the numbers of things you need to lower exposure to if you come up allergic.
Other blood tests such as Complete Hemogram, liver function tests, TSH fT4 will be helpful to exclude 'non-allergic' causes of sneezing and frequent colds.

Long-acting antihistamines such as Fexofenadine or Cetirizine (twice daily) with Steroid Nasal Sprays will prove very helpful.

I hope that was useful.
Best Wishes.
Follow-up: Getting affected by frequent cold and sneezing. How to prevent this? 14 hours later
Dear Dr. Sujoy XXXXXXX

Thanks for your immediate reply.

If i have to do the tests prescribed by you, how it can be done?

Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 1 hour later

You must get in touch with your doctor to get a request done for the blood tests.

Depending on where you live, your doctor will let you know of the laboratory facilities available for the tests.

Best Wishes.