Getting acne on face and shoulder and it takes two weeks to cure. Suggest medication?

Dear Doctor,

I'm 24 but occasionally getting acne in my face, shoulder and it takes two weeks to cure. Still have not taken any medication. Kindly suggest
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 43 minutes later
thanks for writing to us.
You seem to be having mild grade acne.
The same can be treated with these suggestions
Use an antiacne soap to wash face or bathe like perobar or acnex or acneaid
Apply adapalene and benxoyl peroxide combination cream like epiduo or peroduo or deriva bpo once in night over acne lesions. Use a tooth pick for same and do not rub the cream.
With these steps the acne should subside, however a consultation with dermatologist should be taken to see whether you need a course of oral antiacne drugs like azithromycin or isotretinoin. I would also encourage a consultation as these are prescription drugs.
Hope that helped. Should there be a further query, please write back.