Getting acid reflux and coughing violently. Having wheezing due to mucus secretion in lungs. Suggest the cure

General Surgeon
Hello Docs
I have just startejusetting acid reflux which is spoiling my voice and makibg me cough violently. This started out as a throat infection. I was previously exposed to mould growing on walls , i dont know if that caused the infection. During the throat infection i would cough very violently , so much that i was getting a pain in my groin. After yhe infection subsides , I started getting a cough which was different. It choked me up in the morning and caused excessive saliv secretion instantly. Followed by two or three belches . Now it has been one month . I get cough anytime if the day and then wheexing starts in my lungs due to mucus secretion that is initiated by the irritation of the oesophagus i believe. Please help. I hope i will not have to live on ppi for life
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Asthma and acid reflux disease.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are caused by acid reflux disease indeed. Asthma which is responsible for your cough with phlegm very often associates acid reflux disease.
Acid reflux secretion can be caused by stomach inflammation, Helicobacter Pylori infection. In rare cases it can be a symptom of stomach cancer.
Long lasting acid reflux can lead to stomach metaplasia (which increases stomach cancer risk) and Barrets esophagus (which increases esophageal cancer risk).
All mentioned reasons (possibility of cancer, possibility of H.Pylori infection) should force you to have gastroscopy done.
In case of Helicobacter Pylori infection, antibiotics treatment can completely set you free from symptoms.
To check your lungs condition and diagnose asthma, you should have spirometry done by pulmunologist. It is very important to control asthma as without proper treatment it slowly destroys your lungs.

And one more thing. Severe cough can cause a hernia. So your groin pain can be a symptom of inguinal hernia. That is why you should have it checked by surgeon as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.