Getting abdominal pain, back pain and walking difficulty after cesarean delivery. Any suggestion?

sir, my sister had a ceserain delivery, but now she is unable to stand, she can't walk also, she is getting abdominal pain, as well as back pain, please give some suggestion to get her relief from this pain?
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 19 minutes later
Hello, hope everything is well with the baby and mom. Regarding pain after a Cesarian delivery, this is very common, as this is a surgery, where the skin and peritoneum are cut; also there may have been a little bit of blood spillage inside the abdomen which can irritate a lot the abdominal nerves and cause pain.
It is also common to become constipated after surgery, which does not help with the pain.
So my suggestions are: have her take plenty of stool softeners (such as milk of magnesia, docusate, etc), have her walk a few times a day as this can help mobilize the bowels.
For the surgical pain / abdomen and back pain, acetaminophen should be enough to control the pain; we usually try to avoid stronger medications since those can be passed to the baby while breastfeeding, and produce side effects on the baby. If the pain is excrutiating then a stronger medication can be given in between breast feeds (or use a breast-pump and then store the milk), but then I would suggest have a check up by her obstetritian to make sure everything is ok, and there are no wound infections, etc.
Hope that helps,