Getting a sharp stabbing feeling in the corner of eye. How to get relief?

Nov 2013

I have been looking online and see there are examples of my symptom. I am getting a sharp stabbing feeling in the outside corner of my left eye that is quick and painful. I have had it happen about four times and it just made me jump it was so sudden. I am curious if there is something I can do to help this. It is in the same spot and has happened the four times over a few weeks.
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on the symptoms, the most likely cause for your symptoms is Trigeminal Neuralgia.

In this condition, sudden, sharp, electric-shock like pain may occur on one side of face (upper, middle or lower third), depending on the branch of Trigeminal nerve affected (this nerve has three branches and supplies the sensations to the face).

If your symptoms are troubling you, then, you can take carbamazepine (tegretol) for relief of symptoms.

You may consult a neurologist for detailed evaluation and treatment.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist