Getting a sharp pain near heart when coughing or sneezing with shortness of breath. Underlying cause?

I get a sharp pain on my left side near heart when coughing or sneezing. Also have occasional shortness of breath. Apart from that I feel fine.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 59 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Your symptoms do not suggest heart disease – pain from the heart is oppressing, in central chest (and left), worse on effort, relieved by rest, may radiate to shoulders and arms, associated with sweating and so on... Relation to cough and sneeze may mean skeletal muscle spasm / origin from spine (nerve root irritation) or pleura (membrane covering the lung)
     The limited information provided is not sufficient enough to arrive at an appropriate conclusion and suggestion / You have not stated your personal habits, family history, or co-morbidities, even age or gender...which could influence the diagnosis and outcome...
     It is better to get yourself examined / and have basic investigations, if necessary...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck