Getting Premature Ejaculation, advise?

Psychiatrist
Question
some time i am getting Premature Ejaculation,please advise?
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 41 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I will certainly help and advise you regarding your problem. In order to guide you better, can you please provide the following clarifications...

- How long are you having this problem?

- How frequently does this problem happen? (That is, does it happen only in certain situations or everytime you are sexually aroused?)

- Are you married or do you have a partner?

- How long are you able to perform sexual intercourse before ejaculation?

- Do you engage in masturbaton? Does this problem of premature ejaculation happen during masturbation?

- Do you smoke or consume alcohol or any other drugs?

- Do you have any other medical problems or are you on any medication currently?

Please get back to me with these details, so that I can advise you in a better way.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: Getting Premature Ejaculation, advise? 58 minutes later
will certainly help and advise you regarding your problem. In order to guide you better, can you please provide the following clarifications...-
How long are you having this problem? - from last 3 months
How frequently does this problem happen? very rare (That is, does it happen only in certain situations or everytime you are sexually aroused?)-No
Are you married or do you have a partner?- Yes
How long are you able to perform sexual intercourse before ejaculation?-1 minute
Do you engage in masturbaton? no
Does this problem of premature ejaculation happen during masturbation?- NA
Do you smoke or consume alcohol or any other drugs?-NO
Do you have any other medical problems or are you on any medication currently?NO

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 20 hours later
Hello again and thanks for your clarifications.

Your sexual problem of pre-mature ejaculation is actually a very common problem in young males. In your case, since you have mentioned that you are able to perform sexual intercourse only for 1 minute, it appears that your problem of premature ejaculation is significant and distressing.

Now, the good news is that in most of the cases, there is no major medical abnormality causing this. The common causes for premature ejaculation are:
1) A hypersensitive response of the penis
2) Subconscious anxiety / fears / doubts about inadequate sexual performance (called as "performance anxiety")

Don't worry, your problem of premature ejaculation can be controlled by regularly practicing certain sexual techniques or by taking medication for a short period.

I would like to give you the following advise to overcome your problem:

1) Firstly stop becoming more anxious about this problem - because if you feel more anxious and worried or if you keep having doubts that you may not be able to perform properly, then this anxiety itself will worsen the problem. So, during sexual intercourse try to stop worrying and "monitoring" your sexual performance. Just try to be relaxed and enjoy yourself. Don't keep on thinking "How long am I going to last?" "Will I ejaculate too quickly?" "Will I be able to satisfy my parrtner?, etc. One more suggestion is to arouse your partner well befor starting intercourse. So, you can increase and spice-up your foreplay and make sure that you start penetration only after your partner is fully turned on. When your partner is fully aroused and involved, then things keep flowing smoothly and effortlessly, and you don't have to be constantly anxious if you are satisfying your partner or not.

2) The second solution for pre-mature ejaculation is to reduce the "hypersensitivity" of the penis. For this, there are certain specific sexual techniques which can reduce this hypersensitivity. The "stop-start technique" or "squeeze technique" have been proven to be successful in reducing this hypersensitivity and increasing the ejaculatory time.

In the stop-start technique, the penis is stimulated (by sexual intercourse or by masturbation) till a point when you feel close to orgasm. At that point, the stimulation is stopped for some time and after a small gap, it is continued. This process is repeated repeated a few times.

In the squeeze technique, the penis can be stimulated by hand (by masturbation or by your partner) till a point when you feel close to orgasm. At that point, the lower part of the head of the penis is squeezed tightly with the index finger and thumb around for a few seconds till the erection decreases. Then the stimulation is restarted and the process is repeated a few times.

Both these techniques, if practised regularly can definitely prolong the time for ejaculation.

3) The third solution is to try medication. There are certain medication like Dapoxetine (Prilyxet), which can help you control premature ejaculation. The usually recommended dosage of Prilyxet is 30mg, once a day and can be taken for a short period of time till your problem improves.

If you follow these suggestions, then I'm sure that you will be able to gradually control your problem of premature ejaculation.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist