Getting Elisa or Combo test for HIV. How accurate it is?

Question
Hi.
I read in your site that a combo test is good at 2 weeks. For HIV. Today is my 22 nd day after exposure to it. Shall I take combo or elisa ? How accurate ? My exposure was at the dentist. I was there on the 26th and he made drilling and filling and gave me an XXXXXXX the syringe is new the cartridge is new but the holder is reusable and I'm worried about that and the drilling tools and gloves because the place is bellow average in cleanness . So I want to test. Please advice. Please note that the nurse had stains on her uniform from the previous patient if it makes a diference
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 27 minutes later

Usually a PCR for HIV DNA is done to detect HIV infection in the earlier stages, as antibodies are not formed and detected during that time. The sensitivity of the test is 100% and is very accurate test. You can rely on it especially if the test is done after 2-3 weeks of the suspected exposure.

Though the possibility of infection in your case seems less but still risk is present.

You may also consider a HIV combo test at this time where antigen and antibody are tested but it is better to go for PCR as it is quite accurate and since it has been 22 days of the exposure you can go for the test.

The best time to do an ELISA test for HIV antibodies is after 4 weeks of exposure. 90% of normal ‎individuals, who have HIV exposure, will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks. The sensitivity of the ELISA tests ‎is 99.9%. ‎

If a test once done after 12 weeks of exposure - is NEGATIVE, the chances of developing antibodies to ‎HIV at a later date will be negligible. Hence there is no need to repeat the test again.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up in case of doubt.

Regards!

Follow-up: Getting Elisa or Combo test for HIV. How accurate it is? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. For your answer. So if I take a combo test (since pcr and rna aren't available ) it will be more than 95 % acurate ? Or more or less?
And if I take elisa today aswell how acurate is it 98%?
This is my last question on this thread . I heard that its extremly rare that people serconvert after testing negative in 3 weeks. You said that there is a minimal risk for my exposure, which part ?
Follow-up: Getting Elisa or Combo test for HIV. How accurate it is? 1 minute later

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 30 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up query.

You can go for a combo test and usually it is stated that after 6 weeks of exposure it is 99% accurate but FDA (Food and Drug Administration) recommends that all the tests should be repeated after 3 months post exposure.

Elisa test done at this stage would be more than 90% accurate as it has been about 3 weeks and usually it is done after 4 weeks.

I said you are at minimal risk of exposure since most of the instruments were sterile and as it is, all dentists practice good sterilization methods.

Wishing you Good health!