Gets cramps and shocks in calves of legs. What could be the cause and treatment?

Question
My husband gets a kind of cramps/shocks in calves of legs on back side thrice -four times a day. What could be the cause for same and please advise treatment for this
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

The cramps/shock kind of feeling in calves of legs may be due to some possibilities like:

1. Formation of blood clots in the the blood vessels (deep veins) of legs obstructing blood flow into the heart called deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Usually, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is caused by prolonged sitting or standing. This can be diagnosed with investigations like Doppler Ultrasound. If neglected there may be complications like embolism.

OR

2. It may be be usually caused by peripheral neuropathy which is damage caused to the peripheral nerves. This in turn is most commonly caused by Diabetes Mellitus, Hypertension, , Smoking or excess alcohol consumption.

However, a physical examination is mandatory to correctly asses the condition. And treatment varies depending on the cause.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:
WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Gets cramps and shocks in calves of legs. What could be the cause and treatment? 47 minutes later
1.Who should we consulting a neurologist/general physician/orthopeadiac?

2.Also little clarification that it is not the calves of the muscle but in the nerves/veins behind the knee.

Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Thanks for the update and follow up.

I have understood it as nerves/veins only when you have mentioned calves. Just not to confuse you, I replied it again as calves. So, my previous answer should not vary based on this.

Regarding whom to consult, it is better to go to an XXXXXXX medicine doctor (MD General Medicine).

If you have any further questions, please let me know!

Wish him a good health.