Geting a low grade fever every night which disappears in the morning

I get a low grade fever 99.00 to 100.00 starting about 5 pm every night. Its gone in the morning. Been gping on for about 6 months. XXXXXXX Fisher
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 53 minutes later

Important aspects of your query are:
• 70 year old female
• complain of low grade fever in evening time for 6 months
• Known case of Osteoarthritis and Asthma
• Past history of knee replacement
• On Advair ( fluticasone and salmeterol) and Ibuprofen

In your case there are multiple possibilities came in my mind for cause of fever with current information like:
• Tuberculosis
• Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
• Osteoarthritis

All these possibilities need to be ruled out by detailed physical examination and laboratory investigation.

As you are old you are predisposed to several illnesses so possibilities of other findings cannot be ruled out during examination. So visit a Physician earliest.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Geting a low grade fever every night which disappears in the morning 3 hours later
First of all, thank you for telling me that I am old. I already knew that! I have had recemt check ups including a heart scan, blood work and urine. All was normal. I was hoping to hear something new that maybe my doctor had not thought of. Waiting to hear from you. XXXXXXX Fisher
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Hello again,

I am sorry I do not mean to offend you. It is good that reports are normal.

Can you tell me about total leukocyte, differential leukocytes count and value of most commonly used marker of inflammation is C-reactive protein (CRP) as you already having osteoarthritis and in active phase it can lead to low grade fever.

If these investigations are normal than sputum examination is needed to rule out Tuberculosis as evening rise of temperature is very typical symptom of tuberculosis.

A small rise in temperature is expected with metabolic process that happen in every human. Even regular intake of medicines can increase the metabolic process and thus rise temperature.

Let me know if you have specific queries about this rise in temperature and I can clear them.