Get sudden chest pain and cnt take deep breathes, do smoke. Suggest?

At times i get a sudden pain in my chest because of which few parts of my body pain.
I also smoke around 5-7 cigrates in a day.
When ever i get a pain i feel uneasy and cant take a deep breath. please suggest me what should i do.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Effects or smoking

Detailed Answer:

Tar inhaled during smoking induces a inflammatory reaction in the airways. This inflammation causes the airways to get damaged and heal with fibrous tissue. The fibrous tissue lessens the elasticity of the lung tissue and present with pain on deep breathing.

I suggest you to get an Chest xray and a Pulmonary function test done. to determine the extent of damage and rule out any other possible causes for your symptoms.

Follow-up: Get sudden chest pain and cnt take deep breathes, do smoke. Suggest? 12 hours later
The pain is at my heart side. when ever this happens i sweat and i dont know what should i do at that time. Is there anything serious.
Please let me know.
I appreciate your help and advise.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Can't conclude without an Xray

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

I suspect there is a problem going on but the severity could only be judged by an investigating tool like Xray and PFT (pulmonary function test). You can also get an ECG to rule out heart involvement.

Get back to me with the reports, I shall then come out with a clear opinion.