Get sore tongue. Why?

Why do I get a sore tongue?
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neural or hormonal reasons...

Detailed Answer:

Persistent tongue soreness needs to be thoroughly screened. Inflammatory condition / growth ulceration and infection are the usual reasons for the persistent pain. Before I proceed further, I presume that you are thorough checked by your physician / dentist and any mucosal discoloration, swelling, growth and ulceration are ruled out.

If there are no surface mucosal color and textile changes, then this sore tongue may be related to hormone changes that occur during perimenopause/menopause. We have seen quite a few women complaining of painful tongue as they approach this age due to low estrogens. Alternatively this might be a neural pain.

If I were to be your treating doctor, I would first make sure there are no mucosal changes. If none is found, I would check your blood sugar, vitamin b12 and vitamin D levels, and complete hemogram/ESR. Topamax dose can be altered to relieve this discomfort.

Discuss about the two possibilities with your treating doctor. I'll be glad to clarify your doubts.