Get small painful bleeds usually on fingers. Underlying cause?

May 2013
For some time now I get small bleeds usually on my fingers, but the last one was on the neck of my big toe. It was painful, as they always are but it doesn't last long, and although I couldn't see anything at the time it was a definite quite big black area next day. I am a fit active 73 yr. old but I am curious to know what causes this & if there is any deficiency that I should look into. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Coagulation profile

Detailed Answer:
The possible causes for your problem are :
- Intake of any anticoagulant drugs like aspirin.
- Deficiency of coagulation factors.
If there is no history of drug intake, you consult physician once and go for blood investigations for coagulation profile.
This should include bleeding time, clotting time, INR, APTT, platelet count, fibrinogen levels etc.
Possibly by these investigations your problem can be identified and treated.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.