Get shooting pain inside and center of heel when step on it and get Achilles Tendinosis. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I get a shooting pain up the inside and center of my right heel every now and then when I step on it. I also (less) occasionally get a slight throbbing sensation all around the bottom of my heal even when just lying in bed. I do get acute achilles tendinosis but a bit of gentle stretching seems to sort that out fine.
I'm very active and play soccer 2-3 times a week and can notice the pain a bit more the day after.
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most propably it could be PLANTAR FASCITIS.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Shooting pain in the bottom of heel with weight bearing is very typical of Plantar Fascitis. This usually results from repetitive use or excessive load on the fascia which on stretching leads to pain.

There are many other causes that may produce heel pain which include Retrocalcaneal bursitis, achilles tendinitis, tarsal tunnel syndrome etc.

The management of this condition is as follows -
* Relative rest and simple massage of the foot along with stretching excercises
* Judicious use of analgesic antiinflammatory medicines
* Night splints may be useful to keep the foot in plantigrade position
* Use of MCR (micronised rubber) or silicon heels in the foot wear
* Maintaining appropriate body weight so as to reduce the load bearing on the heels
* At time a single injection of corticosteroid in to the area of maximum pain will provide good pain relief.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any clarification