Get severe headache after exposure to sun. Take Butalb -acetaminan. What can be done?

When the sun comes out warm and the top of my head gets in the sun I get a terrible headache. Within minutes. The beginning of the summer is the worst. I take Butalb -acetaminan it helps. I got heat and sun stroke in China 1995 and its been this way ever since. This winter I went out in the cold and My head hurt bad after for quite awhile. I feel like my brain is swelling.
What should I do. I wear a hat all the time outside but to walk out to mailbox and back without a hat and them wham doesn't seem right. I live in Seattle. Not real hot here. What should I do. Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there, thanks for asking. Some people who have migraine are very sensitive to sun light. If you have migraine, you can use a medication from the class of beta blockers (like propranlol, atenolol, ...) to prevent the headaches.
You should also be aware of the possible dangers of heat stroke for the brain, so you should not stay in hot weather and not stay out when temperature changes in a fast pace.
You can also use sun glass to minimize the effect of the light.
I wish you a good health.