Get recurrent boil form in between thigh and scrotum. Burst with puss and blood. Cause?

Hello.i often get a boil form inbetween top of thigh and scrotum.first time I was scared it was serious til I felt it burst in the shower releasing puss and some blood. They only hurt when touched.i am over weight and wonder wether its caused by heat and sweat and friction.thks
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear JD,

Thanks for your question. Indeed, the warm and moist environment of the groin area promotes fungal infections and also at times bacterial infections; your description is consistent with a foruncle, a small abscess that forms in the skin due to bacteria that usually live in the surface; to accelerate healing, you can use a topical ointment such as bacitracin or mupirocin for a few days; my best advise is to keep the area as dry as you can to prevent recurrences, and the best way is usually with daily medicated body powder and daily hygiene of the area.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN