Get pulsing pain in one ear while running, walking. Lab results normal. Cause?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have pain that pulses into what seems to be my right ear only when walking, running etc.. I am an avid jogger which I can no longer do....very sad!! I do not have an ear infecton have had that check out. All labs are normal. I am 5'9 and weigh 138lbs Very desperate for answer and relief XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. This seems to be a vascular or pulsatilla tinnitus.

2. Increased or turbulent blood flow near the ear during exercise or strenuous activity may cause this sensation. The pain may be due to a vessel pressing onto a nerve root leading to a neuralgia.

3. Get a Neck Vessel Doppler Study done. If it is normal, get an Hr (High Resolution) CT temporal bones and an MR Angiogram done since this is a one sided phenomenon.

4. Get a neurology opinion as the pain killers for neuralgias are different from routine pain killers.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Get pulsing pain in one ear while running, walking. Lab results normal. Cause? 1 hour later
I do also have ringing in that ear. The pain and pressure i feel is very deep I have had ct temporal bones negative but not the doppler or angiogram. Who would order these tests? My ENT?
Regards XXXXXXX
I live in NJ and recommendations on refferal?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 49 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. A Doppler and an Angiogram may be ordered by your ENT or Neurologist.

2. Since such problems require a multi-disciplinary approach, it is recommend that you seek a referral to an Institute such as the Local University Hospital.

Regards.