Get painless bulging ridge in stomach while doing sit ups. What could be the cause?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
when i do sit ups i get a bulging ridge down the center of my stomach there is no pain i have a beer belly of not to large
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Bulging ridge down the center of stomach,no pain.. Detailed Answer: Hi, Apart the appearance, I'd like to have more information regarding the consistency of your bulging ridge: - if it is soft = could be because of obesity (you are having a beer belly). It goes mostly to your case as you are saying not to have any pain or problem. - if it is bone-like = could be of the Rickets of the low part of the sternum bone predominating anterior. At the end, if you notice any problem (like pain, difficulty while urinating or passing the motion); I'd suggest to consult a physician. Meanwhile, if you are obese, I'd advise to try to lose weight. Diet and lifestyle changes can help you. Hope it answered your inquiries! If you have other question, feel free to write me back! I'd be happy to assist you further! Dr.Bardha
Follow-up: Get painless bulging ridge in stomach while doing sit ups. What could be the cause? 12 hours later
The bulge is soft and shakes when i tense it doing sit ups .Question is because there is no pain will it be ok to continue excising,I work out in the desert in saudi and drinks loads of water per day .i will start to eat healthy with plenty of fruit but every thing cooked here ids in oil so i tend to eat very little any ways but do not eat vegetables or fruit,Thank you for your quick reply regards XXXXXXX Houghton
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Soft stomach bulge- Possible obesity effect... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for sending in more of your medical data. It might be because of obesity. It is good that you want to go on with exercises. I'd suggest to go for light exercise (walking) first, then, to shift to moderate and intense exercise. If you feel any abnormal symptom meanwhile (pain, difficulty in breathing,etc), I'd recommend to consult a physician immediately. Otherwise, you can go on with physical activity. I understand that living in the Saudi would provide "oily" foods, but you can burn the extra fat by exercising and drinking more water. Hope it answered to your inquiries! Wish you health! If you have more concerns, can write me a follow up question. Dr.Bardha