Get muscle stiffness in calf occasionally. What could be the reason?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi there, I get muscle stiffness in my right calf occasionally during the day and more when I go to bed. It goes very tight and I have to concentrate to try and losen it again. Sometimes it will also pulsate (very lightly) any ideas what this could be? Thanks
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

Your description suggests that you are getting cramps in the calf muscles.Cramps are painful spasms in a muscle and are often caused by overuse, dehydration, or nutritional deficiencies.
Following measure will help-
*Drink fluid-An electrolyte imbalance can be the cause of muscle spasms, so rehydrating with an electrolyte drink can help restore balance.
*Stretch the affected muscle with a mild, static stretch.
*Use ice to numb the pain in a cramp, reducing inflammation and allowing the muscle to relax.
*Bring the affected muscle into a relaxed position and apply direct compression to the cramp.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.