Get mouth ulcers around the time of periods. What could be the cause and treatment?

I get mouth ulcers around the time of my periods usually a week before or sometimes if not before then during the periods. Could you please advice me medication or tests for such a condition.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Guru 3 hours later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!
Your mouth ulcers may be due to hormonal changes or may due to stress. Actually these kind of mouth usually does not require treatment unless very troublesome since they usually heal on their own.

However, you need to follow some measures like using antimicrobial mouthwashes so that secondary infections does not occur, try to reduce your stress levels. If they are very painful and bothersome there would be some local anesthetic mouth gels which help in symptomatic relief. However, these can be prescribed only after physical examination.

If they are very frequent and recurrent, some investigations like Complete blood picture, Serum ferritn level (to detect iron deficiency which is one of the potential cause of mouth ulcers) and Vitamin B12 levels (which also can be potential cause of mouth ulcers) will be of some help.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health.