Get lot of etopic heart beats. Done ECG which was normal. What could be the cause?

Hi i get a lot of etopic heart beats, have been to cardiologists (2) and they have done heart eco which was normal but still get a lot of these beats, with no other symptoms
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ECG should be more useful

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Ectopic beats is a common problem for someone in 60s. If the echo is normal and the ectopics are not troubling then it is not of a worry. However if you are having frequent symptoms then yes, ectopics need to be treated. Ectopics are not seen in echo while the same can be diagnosed with an ECG.
If the ectopics are not seen in a single ECG then a 24 hr monitoring ECG should be useful.
Verapamil diltiazem and proranolol are certain common drugs used to treat such conditions.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Get lot of etopic heart beats. Done ECG which was normal. What could be the cause? 1 hour later
Hi doctor I have a holter monitor on last week, still waiting for results. Also Iam on flecainide but still getting etopics . Thanks
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Holter Monitor will be useful

Detailed Answer:
Holter Monitor will give you a proper diagnosis that whether they are ventricular ectopics or atrial ectopics.
Flecanainide is a good drug and probably you can give it some time.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD