Get lighted and dizzy after climbing stairs? What could be the reason?

Why do I get lighted and dizzy after climbing stairs?
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Climbing stairs is a strenuous exercise in which you are lifting your body weight against exercise. It is a type of tread mill test but without a tread mill.

Feeling light headed and dizzy means that your cardiac output is not keeping pace with the exrecise level. You should get a through cardiac evaluation done to know the status of your cardiac function. This shall include:
1. Blood work up.
2. Echocardiography.
3. Stress tread mill test, if warranted.
4. Further investigations depending on the results of the above test.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal