Get headache and fear to death. Taking propranolol for anxiety. Effects of medication?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I've started taking propranolol today for anxiety, I get headaches and a real fear of death. Just two questions. I'm on 20mg dose each day for the next month, two doses of 10mg each day. Is there any chance my heart will stop completely from these tablets as the doctor said yesterday my heart was fine and secondly does propranolol reduce your life?
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

You should not worry.

Propranolol is a non-selective beta-blocker that prevents adrenaline from binding to various beta receptors mostly in heart. By blocking the effects of adrenaline on these receptors, the autonomic (physical) symptoms of anxiety/panic are reduced but has no effect on perception or the thought process(fear). It is not usually the first choice for panic attacks ,but doctor had a reason to prescribe it(perhaps you have very intensive physical symptoms of anxiety). Also it can be combined with some antidepressant or anxiolytic, but since you are young I wouldn't prescribe any more drugs.

Propranolol carries some rate of side effects, but heart stopping or anything similar wasn't reported. It will slow heart rate and blood pressure, but it cant cause heart to stop beating. You are taking low dosage and you don't need to expect any side effect, it can just help you.However, when you start to feel better you cant stop taking it or if you feel worse,you can add new drug.

There is no scientific proof that it reduces lifetime,this is not true. It can be only helpful when used in optimal doses and for optimal purpose.

Wish you good health. If you have any questions i ll be glad to help.