Get fever blisters on my lips. Having white patch on both the lips. Suggest weak immunize system. Solution?

Hi Doctor,

I get Fever blisters on my lips quite frequently, after which it leaves an unpigmented patch( a bright coloured patch) compared to other areas around it.

I went to a dermatologist and had my blood tested and was told my immune system is slight weak.

I have a white patch on my right upper and right lower lips( I think it is termed vitiligo) also I smoke, so my lips are little dark and due to which these marks looks more bright and very visible.

Whenever I get blister on my lips it leaves a XXXXXXX on my lip, altogether now my lips have uneven pigmentation.

I always look for ways to get rid of the skin on my lips, I would be greatful if someone can explore into my problem and suggest a solution.
Thank you

Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Welcome ! I would be pleased to answer.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you very much for your query posted.

From your history it indicates that you have a post inflammatory change in the pigmentation of the skin over the lips.
From Vitiligo to Smoking to the Fever blisters , the lip skin has undergone a lot of damage at the molecular level .
You should ideally be taking good amount of anti oxidants daily specially those which contain Vitamin C , Beta Carotene .

For application you will need to put a non steroidal cream called Pimecrolimus.
This helps by reducing the inflammation and the pigmentary alterations.

Please note that you will get this medication by a prescription from your doctor.

Thanks and Take care
Follow-up: Get fever blisters on my lips. Having white patch on both the lips. Suggest weak immunize system. Solution? 6 hours later
Thanks for the reply doctor,

Actually I have been using tacrolimus lotion on white patches and it never worked, also I have acne marks( dark pigmented marks), are these also due to vitamin c deficiencies.

Can u prescribe a surgical procedure to get rid if the skin on my lip or a particular medicine for antioxidant and vitamin c to take which can be find in the UK.

Also a cream to apply which can be found here to apply on, and is this one different to tacrolimus.

Suggestion will be appreciated doctor.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 43 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for your query posted.

Detailed Answer:
A surgical procedure that works well for your condition would be Melanocyte transfer into the white portion of the lips.
Vitamin C for lips is available from Clinique. This is an OTC product.

The other creams available other than tacrolimus would be the steroidal options.
In case you have applied tacrolimus for a period of 6 months and it has not given you any benefit , then the surgical procedure of Melanocyte transfer would be the only option .

Do get back to me in case you have any further queries.

Thanks and Take care