Get chest pain after masturbation. What could be the reason?

Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely due to anxiety

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Please do not worry. If you are having similar chest pains a day after you masturbate and after just watching porn, it is most likely due to anxiety. Pain in chest after masturbating can occur due to muscle spasm but it will not stay for two weeks as mentioned by you.

I'm assuming you're not doing anything obvious to cause chest pain. You don't contort your body in weird angles, or hold your breath for long periods of time. Even then chest pain will appear immediately and not on the next day. Watching porn is unlikely to cause similar symptoms other than due to anxiety.

I suggest you consult a psychiatrist and take guidance regarding normal human male sexual behavior. You might be prescribed medications for increased anxiety if felt necessary.

I hope this helps.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: Get chest pain after masturbation. What could be the reason? 1 hour later
What will your suggestion be for curing it ? Any steps that i can follow to cure it ? I want to cure it without using any medications... Thankyou
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
If psychological, may resolve without medications.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back,

Reiterating the possible causes again, firstly, the important cause to be ruled out is a heart condition (but you mentioned that cardiology consultation was unremarkable with normal ECG). An esophageal (food pipe) spasm is a possibility that occurs periodically and maybe unrelated to masturbation, which coincidentally has occurred in the noted time (proton pump inhibitor or antacids do not help in these cases). A consultation from a gastroenterologist and some investigations like Barium swallow would reveal/rule out the presence of any abnormality. Third possibility as I have mentioned above is a muscle spasm which is unlikely to last that long but you may try application of locally acting pain killers like ointments or sprays to see if the pain responds to the same. Once all the above causes are ruled out, it is possible that the cause is psychological. The repeated occurrence of pain/discomfort in the chest after masturbation has probably caused you to form an association between the two events. That is, an anticipation of this pain a day later each time you masturbate. There may be unconscious feelings of guilt associated with masturbation or watching porn that is manifesting in the form of somatic/bodily symptoms i.e. chest pain. Psychological therapies along with relaxation techniques may help resolve the problem. Medications have a smaller role to play. so yes, medications may not be a necessity. You will need to consult a psychologist who is licensed to administer such therapies. A detailed history will be taken by the treating psychologist which is required for a detailed analysis of the occurrence of the problem to administer this form of treatment.

I hope this helps,
Dr. A Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: Get chest pain after masturbation. What could be the reason? 4 hours later
" Psychological therapies along with relaxation techniques may help resolve the problem ".... can u tell some of them so i can follow them regularly to cure myself ?, all other conditions have been ruled out already, doctors say its in my head. I am ready to seriously follow any therapy & technique you would suggest.
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Therapies selected depending on patient's details

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back,

Formulating a plan for a problem is unique for each patient depending on their problems. And what you are experiencing is not a common problem and there are no pre-decided therapies for it. Let me explain in detail once again, you will be asked a series of questions regarding every domain in your life which includes childhood experiences, your feelings, your memories etc. apart from the expected questions regarding the specific problem. It is going to be a question-answer session where not only what you say but also your body language will be analyzed because sometimes our thoughts and feelings may be unconscious and we may be unaware of them. After this, a formulation will be made based on all the information collected and then the appropriate therapy is chosen and some modifications may be necessary in the conventional therapies for each patient. This has to be done in person by a qualified and experienced psychologist.

Regarding relaxation techniques, they include breathing exercises, meditation, yoga etc. These may be practiced by self but these may not be effective without the actual treatment which is therapies.

I hope this helps,
Dr. A Rao Kavoor