Get bruises on leg post taking multivitamin. Is this a common side effect?

Oncologist
Question
I am 56 years old female . I get brusis on my leg following taking a multivitamin I have osteoporosis for which I have an
Injection of biophosphonate yearly. I am
Pron to hyperthyroidism and slightly anemic because I do not eat red meat
Furthermore I take iron an calcium. My
Question is : does multivitamin causes
Brusis or it is just coincided with some other Underling disorder. Thank you,very
Well appreciated.in advance.
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I cannot think of any mechanism by which a multivitamin would cause bruising or bleeding. I suspect this might be some type of coincidence.

I do think that if you have these symptoms of easy bruising or bleeding that you should discuss this with your primary care doctor.

I think a thorough evaluation is indicated. This might include a blood test as well as a careful review of your blood cells under the microscope. Sometimes there may be abnormalities involving the platelets which could cause bruising. Also your Dr. might want to check your coagulation factor levels. These are done with simple blood tests.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga