Get block in the night during sleep. Chest filled with mucus. Suggest treatment?

ENT Specialist
My daughter is 9 years and her nose get blocks in the night when she sleeps. And 15-20 days in a month her chest get filled with mucus and because of which she has cough in the morning and difficulty in breathing.
Please suggest the treatment which can clear her mucus from the chest?
I look forward to your kind support & cooperation in this regard.
Thanks in advance.
Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rule out adenoid hypertrophy.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common cause for these symptoms in a 9 year old would be adenoid hypertrophy.

2. An X-ray Skull lateral view to check for for adenoid hypertrophy will be required.

3. The source of the mucus may be a Post Nasal Drip from the nose and sinuses or from the chest. Get a Chest Physician's opinion.

4. A child with severe nasal obstruction will sleep with the mouth open and avoid thumb sucking, so this has to be a mild obstruction, if any. This habit may be leading to dental bite problems and frequent throat infections.

5. In the meanwhile, start an anti-allergic mucolytic along with supervised steam inhalation.

6. You may follow up with the X-rays and reports here.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.