Gestational sac appeared flat on sonogram. Is this normal?

Mar 2016

My first sonogram was today and the doc said my sack looked sort of flat. My last cycle was January 15th, which I believe puts me at about 4 weeks.. Is it normal for my sac to appear this way?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer according to your query.

As per your last period date (15th January) & ultrasound report, you are definitely 4 weeks pregnant.

I think that flat looked gestational sac in early weeks (4 wk) is not so relevant. So you have nothing to worry in this state. Further fetal pole, cardiac activity & heart rate are to be measured.

Early ultrasound scan (USG) may not give detailed view on feto-placental profile.
Therefore, I suggest to undergo one Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) after 2 weeks to get every details on fetal pole, yolk sac and cardiac activity. Basically, these are observed on 6 weeks of gestational age (from LMP) through TVS scan.

Here, you can consult with your sonologist/ gynecologist regarding this and take an appointment for next follow up scan.

In the interim, following things are quite helpful for healthy pregnancy (specially in 1st trimester):

1) Take Healthy protein XXXXXXX diet with extra 350 Kcal/day than usual and eat more vegetables & fresh fruits.
2) Take folic acid supplements. You may require micronised progesterone tabs to support pregnancy & avoid miscarriage.
3) Drink lots of fluid/water to stay hydrated & for better feto-placental circulation.
4) Take an adequate bed rest and preferably 8-10 hrs daily in divided schedule.
5) Maintain personal hygiene including breast & genital care with proper washing.
6) Try to avoid stress/tension/emotional upset by regular XXXXXXX breathing (if possible).
7) Avoid any type of sexual activity/ long journey/stepping uneven surface and high heel shoe (risk of fall on ground with miscarriage) etc.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish you for good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen