Genu varum, biomechanics cause pain. Can surgery correct this problem, other treatment options?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have genu varum (bow legs) and I am 48 years old. I am a runner and my biomechanics has caused me great pain as a result of genu varum. When my feet are together I have 3.5 inches of space between my inner knees. I am at the point where I am considering surgery to correct this problem but wish to know what my options are. I have also heard there is a doctor in Kiev, Ukraine ( that can perform this without invasive surgery.

Can you tell me what my options are? I am desperate!

Thank you
Ernest Robles
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Since you have a 3.5 inches space between your inner knees, you do have a considerable degree of deformity. At your age, surgical treatment is the best option.
The other treatment options are mobilization of knee, muscle strengthening exercises, relieve strain on ankles, relieve spasm and using a knock knee brace. All these treatment modalities are more successful in case of children and in those with a lesser degree of malformation. Using shoe orthotics might help you in having a symptomatic relief temporarily.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Genu varum, biomechanics cause pain. Can surgery correct this problem, other treatment options? 14 hours later
Dr. Tayal,

Can you tell me what the process is for my seeking remediation of my physical condition? I.e., do I first need to make a medical appointment and then get referred to an Orthopaedic Surgeon? Also, is this considered cosmetic surgery? I would think not since it does impact my health.

Sir, thank you for your prompt reply!

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Correction of genu varum is not considered a cosmetic surgery. This is a disability which needs a correction. You can directly consult an orthopedic surgeon for the necessary treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.