Genital warts, chronic condition, PAP test normal. Chances of it being contagious and recurring ?

Hi. I had genital warts about 2.5 years ago. I have had nothing since. Is it likely I am now not contagious to new partners? Am i likely to get a reoccurance after this time. There is so much conflicting advice. If it had been a wart on my hand I would not even be thinking about it. Please help thanks.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later
Human papilloma virus is transmitted sexually. In order to transmit the virus one does not necessarily need to have any symptoms. The virus simply lives on and under the skin. Since you had genital warts 2.5 years ago, the best way to know the status of your infection is by going for a HPV DNA test. There are now several such DNA HPV tests, some of which have been approved for marketing by the FDA, that can detect either the majority of the high-risk types of HPV or specific subtypes, such as HPV-16 and HPV-18. You can get this test done from any laboratory.
Additionally, you can go for a PAP smear where the presence of abnormal cells will detect the HPV infection.
If you are not infected then I would suggest you to get yourself vaccinated against it to avoid any infections in future.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Follow-up: Genital warts, chronic condition, PAP test normal. Chances of it being contagious and recurring ? 6 hours later
Hi, thank you for your response my last pap test was normal. I cannot currently afford a DNA test. But after 2.5 years is it likely my body has fought off the virus or that it is kept in check by my immune system and i am no longer contagious. It seems like a long time, but some people seem to say this is life long.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

Without proper treatment there is a possibility that your skin is still inhabiting the virus.

DNA test is the only way to know your exact status.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.