Genital culture ad pap smear showed epithelial cell, cocci and rods. Are these normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Just had a genitial culture along with my routine pap smear.... Here are the results from the culture..
Are these normal? What does it mean?
Heavy Growth Normal vaginal flora isolated
1 + Epithelial cells, 2 + gram positive cocci, 2 + positive rods, no WBC's seen
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
The vaginal culture report shows a growth of normal vaginal flora. This is a normal report and is not suggestive of any kind of infection. A presence of few epithelial cells is also a normal finding as some of the epithelial cells do shed off from the mucosal lining.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Genital culture ad pap smear showed epithelial cell, cocci and rods. Are these normal? 13 minutes later
Why is it telling me my question has been answered,I even got a text message telling me to check my answer but yet the answer is not showing up?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
If you are not able to see the answer then please contact customer care at- YYYY@YYYY
Regards.

Follow-up: Genital culture ad pap smear showed epithelial cell, cocci and rods. Are these normal? 45 minutes later
what does the cocci and the positive rods mean? Anything?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
The cocci and gram positive rods describe the shape of the bacteria that were found on culture.
These are normal commensals of vaginal flora. These do not indicate any active infection in the area.
Regards.