Generalized skin sensitivity, skin hurts to touch, shivering. If it is just a cold virus, why have I not built up immunity?

Question
This has happened numerous times over the past couple of years. First, I have skin sensitivity from head to toe which lasts as long as 12 hours. My skin actually hurts to the touch, and then the shivering begins. It's almost disabling. I get in bed and my wife covers me with quilts and I shake uncontrollably for 3 to 4 hours. There are no other symptoms. If it's just a cold virus, why haven't I built up an immunity? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Abid 1 hour later
Hi there and sorry to hear about your problem. I will try my best to help you out.

Shivering along with increase skin sensitivity and other symptoms need evaluation for thyroid illness; because low level of thyroid hormones can be associated with cold intolerance and other symptoms. And sometimes hypothyroid patients associated like tingling, numbness, etc.

Based on your description, the close possibility I can think of is hypothyroidism and vitamin B12 deficiency. So I will suggest you to get your thyroid function and Vitamin B12 levels tested. We can then plan its treatment based on the results.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any further queries, I will be glad to assist you.

Regards and best wishes

Follow-up: Generalized skin sensitivity, skin hurts to touch, shivering. If it is just a cold virus, why have I not built up immunity? 4 hours later
If you understood my question, you wouldn't have given the answer you gave. My explanation of the symptoms makes it very clear that this condition has absolutely nothing to do with cold intolerance and on top of that, I take a vitamin B-12 supplement every day. I may be wrong but the answer you gave sounds like something you found on WebMd.

Answered by Dr. Abid 24 hours later

I apologize if my previous reply was not upto your expectation. Let me try today.

It is extremely difficult to point out a cause without physical examination especially when someone has symptoms as long as 2 years. A detailed physical examination and battery of investigations are needed to narrow down a cause.
Based on the details provided, I had wanted to share with you few close possibilities. Hypothyroidism and like an infection because:
1. Infection is usually associated with prodromal symptoms. Not to miss out fever.
2. It is hard to believe that infection would have gone undetected for 2 years. There is always a tendency to change, new symptom occurring or as you pointed out body fighting against it. The exception being recurring infection like flu.

The other possibilities which needs consideration are
1. Hematological disorders like anemia.
2. Metabolic conditions like sugar fluctuations.
3. Allergic response.
4. Endocrine disturbances.
5. Stress.

I would encourage you to visit your physician. Battery of test initially starting with complete blood counts, blood sugars, thyroid profile, etc. can be done.

Hope my response is clear and convincing this time. If not, let me know; I will be available to answer your follow ups.

Follow-up: Generalized skin sensitivity, skin hurts to touch, shivering. If it is just a cold virus, why have I not built up immunity? 3 hours later
The answer to this mystery is 'Shingles'. I hope you spend your $10 wisely.

Answered by Dr. Abid 19 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Your reply says that this is mysterious. I have not found a case with just a hypersensitive skin to be shingles. If your doctor had diagnosed it to be then I just believe it to be atypical presentation. Such descriptions have no justifications on this forum.

I believe in positive psychology so I learn even when I give opinions like this.

Thank you for sharing.