Gelatinous and inflamed uvula, dry throat. How long it will take to be cured?

ENT Specialist
Hello Doctor,
Its day 17 and my uvula is still gelatinous and inflamed and the throat is dry and very mildly sore. My sinuses are kept from congestion using the claritin and flonase.
My big question long should it take for the uvula inflammation to subside? Shall I be worried after all this time with little change?
I have been to visit doctors locally who do not seem to be concerned though only a rapid swab was conducted and no other tests. Vitals are good as is energy and now sleep has improved. I can send an image taken today for reference if you like.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pharyngitis with sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I have gone through your query and image.

It suggests that you are suffering from Pharyngitis with sinusitis.

Inflammation of uvula subside within the a week , if you add systemic steroid in your course with complete removal of disease from the sinus.
What is the report of your throat swab?
If symptoms not improving then for near diagnosis you may go for-rapid streptococcal antigen test,Monospot test, and other specific disease such as VDRL and MT test.
I personally advised the following measures for feeling better from sore throat

Drink warm liquids such as lemon tea or tea with honey.
Gargle five times a day with warm salt water .
A cool-mist vaporizer or humidifier can moisten and soothe a dry throat.
Follow-up: Gelatinous and inflamed uvula, dry throat. How long it will take to be cured? 16 minutes later
I have had a rapid swab test and returned negative-they were checking for strep.

The swelling of uvula subsides within ? week... is that 1 or 1 more week than I have already had? I have had it swollen now for 17 days.-sorry you were not clear there.

I do gargle with warm water and salt 2-3 times daily, I also do a nasal sinus rinse 2-3 times daily, I drink tulsi tea(holy basil) and am constantly having manuka honey lozenges and using throat sprays.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for above mentioned test

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
Thank you for follow up query.
Dear Sir I already mention to you that swelling of the uvula subsides within a week if you add systemic steroid in your course with complete removal of disease from the sinus.
Systemic steroid means Steroid either in the tablet form or injectable form.
Complete removal of sinus disease requires the proper management by proper antibiotic course, Nasal decongestant, nasal steroid and systemic steroid.
In resistant cases, electrocautery or chemical cautery may give symptomatic relief for a long time in this condition.
But for exact diagnosis you may go for above mentioned test because for correct treatment you may require the correct diagnosis.

Wish you good health.